Friday, September 4, 2015

THE VIRTUE OF UNFINISHED STORIES






Michelangelo's St. Matthew.
He could have done better if he didn't have a patron.

















You can see the story emerging, and until it is finished, it still looks great.

One thing I've learned about writing is to never hold back. If I feel a new story appearing, I'll focus on that for awhile. Then like a bear on a weekly circuit through neighborhood garbage cans, or Bobby Fischer playing dozens of chess games at a time,  I'll move on to other stories already started.

I see beauty in unfinished stories. Some stories I specifically like left unfinished. I've had stories that sat beautifully unfinished for years which I eventually did finish and still found beautiful.

You'll probably be shocked--shocked, I say--to find I have almost no respect for the publishing business. But who are we kidding? In reality, I don't have any respect for the publishing business, and the reason for that is because it's bullshit. If the functionaries in the way had any goddam clue, they'd be doing it themselves. Almost everything that's ever been published is for shit, in fact. It ain't got that verve, it's not saying anything, the sentences are weak. Most of the crap pushed by the non-writer functionaries reads like Wal-Mart t-shirts to me. I don't ever sit around pining to be part of that. Because I never try to fit a preexisting market, my work is original, and fulfilling even unfinished.

Would that everyone had this freedom. Certainly the world would be a far better place if more people had the guts to create instead of standing hat in hand at some publishing Ellis Island packed with would-be writers screaming in squalor.

I'm not going to give away every single story I write for free. Some stories get finished, but never go online for that very reason. I don't feel bad about it. I already give more than anybody else anyway.

As the writer, it's my job to bury the shit of the world under the sheer incalculable tonnage of my stories, finished and unfinished. Those who wish to watch this process are encouraged to get some popcorn, perhaps a cold beverage, the better to enjoy the show. I pay my bills by the strength of my iron back. They'll have to pry my back from my cold dead fingers before I'll ever give it up, and that'll never happen because I'm too strong, too quick. Well, not always so quick at finishing stories, but that's because I'm so busy.

Am I open to possible offers in life? Sure. Naturally. Absolutely. Meanwhile, I do what I do because it's who I am. And that's what's goin' on here. Thanks for checkin' in. I hope you like what you see. Variety a-plenty here to peruse.

Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment