Tuesday, April 26, 2016

DUSTY RELIC



































I don't ever use this thing. Never did like it.

I gave it a chance. It just never could compare to print. These things are a hassle, they're not real, and they were a bad idea from the start. I never see anybody using them.

A few years back, there was a big push to market these things. Everywhere you turned you couldn't help but hear how amazingly they were outselling print. Bookstores closed. One day, visiting a book store in Ashland, Oregon, I had a conversation with an employee.

"You know what I would do if I were you?" she said. "I'd put my books on Kindle. If they sell, great. If they don't, what's the harm?"

"Really?" I said, lacing my fingers with misty eyes. "Gosh that sounds lovely. Thank you so much for this wonderful advice."

So I did. I always preferred print, but I figured, what the hey? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Turns out, the best I can say about Amazon Kindle is the print option. That I do like. And very much so. It's a terrific option. If you're a polished writer, do it. If you have creative vision, do it. Don't expect to make any money, but do it. The publishing industry sucks. Those posers mean nothing to me. Still, if you've got the fire in the belly, commence expressing. Share what you've got. It's why we're here.

This thing here though, I file right next to my 8-track tapes and Beta VCR.


No comments:

Post a Comment